we can do it

Friday, May 25, 2012

Coscto: what TO buy and NOT to buy

I have been spending a lot of time on Pintrest looking for some great summer ideas for the boys and tripped over this pinn..  


The best deals:


  • Dog food (about 1/2 the price)
  • Olive Oil
  • Diapers & wipes ($6 off per box when you use their coupons, I buy whatever brand is on sale that month.)
  • Milk
  • Laundry detergent / fabric softener/ dryer sheets  - with coupons (I make my own for much less)
  • Cheese (I buy their huge bags of shredded Kirkland mozarella and cheddar. I divide them into small sandwich baggies and freeze them; pull out one bag at a time as needed.
  • 3lb bags of Mission tortilla chips (the boys love these)
  • Bags of frozen fruit and veggies (not only cheaper, but much better than stores' frozen veggies.)
  • Seasonings, minced garlic (their containers are HUGE are are much cheaper than other stores!)
  • Prescriptions & vitamins - with coupon when possible. (Much cheaper at Costco!! And you don't need a membership to buy them. Click HERE for info.)
  • Birthday cake ($17 for their MASSIVE, semi-customizable cakes
Other great deals that I buy:
  • Bananas
  • Potatoes
  • Strawberries (...when in season. They are the biggest and best strawberries EVER.)
  • Bread/rolls/buns (if I dont make them myself)
  • Frozen chicken (if I am out and not able to buy on sale)
  • String cheese 
  • Romaine lettuce and bagged spinach (if not from the backyard)
  • Postage stamps (when I need a lot of them)
  • Eggs)
  • Juice (with coupon when possible)
  • Rice/quinoa
  • Baking items (flour, sugar,
  • Butter
  • I also get my photos printed there.
  • Plants and outdoor equipment (when in season)
  • Socks
  • Rotisserie chicken
  • Frozen salmon
  • Gas (will save you major $$ over time.)
  • Electronics.
What I avoid buying at Costco:
  • Ground beef (when on sale I just buy as much as I can and freeze it into 1 lb bags)
  • Other meat ( they go on sale at the grocery store.)
  • Cereal (they have coupons occasionally, but still more expensive.)
  • Most canned food (the small cans) (it's convenient to have them in a big box, but price per can is higher than Walmart.)
  • Condiments (condiments go on sale like CRAZY in grocery stores around holidays. Stock up on ketchup, mustard, and BBQ sauce at stores when they go on sale and you'll save way more.)
  • Pasta & sauce. (You can typically get 1lb for $1 and sauce you can get on sale for $1 per jar at Walmart. Costco is nearly always more expensive.) 
  • Most produce. (Costco's produce is awesome, huge, often organic, and high-quality...BUT it's typically more expensive. There are times when their produce is cheaper, but you just need to learn your prices. For example, their 3lb bags of spinach is a great deal. And when in-season, their strawberries are competitively priced. They might not be the cheapest, but the size and quality make them a good deal. However, their apples, oranges, grapefruits, grapes, and other produce will cost you a lot more. How to know the difference? See the next tip...)

No comments:

Post a Comment